Re: CAS 501 Paul Parker 23 Oct 1997 03:19 EST

Martha and group; at State University of New York, Binghamton the
documentation of costs is with the sponsored programs office, particularly
salary.  There are some cost as we know that are based on historic
expenditures such as, if allowable, postage, supplies, etc.  Major
equipment items are reviewed with the research purchasing office for
accurate estimation.

 Paul Parker, Research Foundation, SUNY Binghamton

>CAS 501 requires us to ensure that our cost proposal estimates are
>consistent with our methods of reporting and accumulating costs.  I would
>like to poll the group to see where the documentation for proposal budgets
>is being housed.  Are the sponsored programs offices keeping the details or
>are most schools leaving the responsibility up to the individual faculty to
>retain the "evidence" of method and basis of estimation.
>
>If you are leaving the responsibility with the PI, what level of detail are
>you requiring at the proposal approval stage?  Are you requiring detailed
>explanation of each line item?  Who will the auditor spend his or her time
>with if audited?
>
>Regardless of who keeps the documentation -   How much is enough and how
>much is too much?
>
>We are currently leaving the responsibility with the PI but are having a
>difficult time explaining what we need at the proposal approval stage to
>feel comfortable that the budget is compliant.   We want to be
>service-oriented but not too loose with regulations.  Any ideas from the
>gallery?   Thanks.

>Martha M. Taylor,   Director               (334) 844-4438
>Contracts and Grants Administration         FAX (334) 844-5953
>307 Samford Hall
>Auburn University,  AL  36849-5131
>xxxxxx@mail.auburn.edu

Paul C. Parker, Director