Congressionally appropriated funds Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D. 20 Oct 1997 13:27 EST

Would like information on what happens when Congress appropriates funds
for given project at a  given university.  Does the cascade go like

1. Congress passes the law that contains the appropriation.
2. The money is assigned to one of the executive branches of government.
3. That branch conveys the money to the university in the form of a
grant, contract, or cooperative agreement.
4. The executive agency may do various things associated with the
award.  It may require the university to submit a proposal and may
subject that proposal to review by its own employees or by an outside
It may announce the award in the Federal Register.
Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D., Director
Office of Research Support Services
Meharry Medical College
Nashville, TN  37208
P (615) 327 6703
F (615) 327 6738