Re: Subagreements McMahon, Maureen B. 17 Oct 1997 10:02 EST

Like you, we use the type of agreement appropriate to the level of =
involvement, not the monetary value of the agreement. Therefore, if an =
outside person or institution is only providing a specific contracted =
service, we would use a consulting agreement or PO. If however, that person =
=
is responsible for a portion of the scope of work, we would issue a =
subcontract, almost always to the institution.

When a PI wants a subcontract issued directly to an individual, the issue t=
o =
me is what is our responsibility? For example, if a person in another =
institution is obviously using his/her institution's facilities to complete =
=
the work, is it up to us to question this? Isn't it the responsibility of =
that person to ensure he/she is following institutional policy? At our =
institution, a faculty member may enter into private consulting agreements =
(1) when the work involved will not interfer with the discharge of his/her =
University obligations and (2) if the work does not involve the use of =
University facilities. I assume similar policies are in effect at other =
institutions, but other arrangements may exist. I'd assume it's the =
subcontractee's responsibility to ensure he/she is following institutional =
policies and regulations.
Maureen McMahon
Grant & Contract Administrator
University at Buffalo
 ----------
From: Research Administration Discuss
To: Multiple recipients of list RES
Subject: Subagreements
Date: Thursday, October 16, 1997 6:42PM

We constantly struggle with the type of agreement we should use to pass dow=
 money to individuals/organizations who are outside our institution, but
somehow
 working on a grant/contract that we hold.  We have tried to establish
internal
 guidelines.  Basically, consultant agreements are used only when an
individual
 or firm is giving advice or an opinion, subagreements (subgrants,
subcontracts
 or consortium agreements) are only used when an organization is performing=
 =
 portion of the project's scope of work, and a professional service =
agreement
is
 used for the procurement of a service with an individual.  We now have a PI
who
 wants to establish a subagreement with an individual, even though the
 individual is employed by a university.  The individual will be asked to d=
o =
 portion of the scope of work of the original grant.  What type of an
agreement
 would you use in this situation?  Or, would you demand that the PI contrac=
 with the university and simply name the individual as a!
 key person in the project?   Any advice or source references would be
 appreciated.

Diane Austin
Marshfield Clinic
Division of Research