Re: Proposal files Andrew Grant 15 Oct 1997 08:04 EST

John,

I've been doing training and teaching proposal writing on the graduate
level for more than 15 years, in addition to being an active professional.
The first thing any workshop participant or student asks for is a sample
proposal, and I always resist.  In my experience grant applicants,
especially inexperienced writers, tend to use the sample as a template,
whether or not it's appropriate for the source or the project.  I try to
encourage them to approach each project/sponsor combination as a unique
entity, which of course it is.  We work on writing style and guideline
interpretation in an effort to tailor the proposal to the source and
project.  When I do use samples, I emphasize that a sample is not
necessarily a model.

This is always a tough issue because the reason they want it most is the
same reason for not giving it to them -- use as a substitute for original
thinking and creative problem solving.

Having said that, I think it's also important to be sensitive to the need
for support in the situation you describe.  People seek guidance when they
are confronted with an unfamiliar task.  My experience with faculty is that
they often are uncomfortable and a little intimidated at the thought of
admitting ignorance of the application and proposal writing process.  It's
important to try to demystify it as much as possible.  Enlisting senior
faculty as mentors for their junior colleagues is a promising strategy if
you have people willing to participate.  Simply handing out samples is one
of the least useful approaches.

Andrew

At 08:36 AM 10/14/1997 +0000, you wrote:
>One of the schools in our university is really hustling to find ways
>to encourage/support faculty in writing grant proposals.  Now they
>are asking for our help in creating and maintaining a file of
>successful proposals that faculty can use as models.
>
>Has anyone else had any experience with this sort of thing?  Any
>suggestions?  Any philosophical thoughts about the concept?
>
>I have qualms about it, myself.  Coming from a writing background, I
>know how difficult it is to write something that is both good and
>original after you've been shown something that's held out as an
>exemplary example of what you're supposed to be writing.
>
>John Finley
>Office of Sponsored Programs Development
>University of Louisville
>Louisville, Ky. 40292
>Tele: 502 852-6512 FAX: 502 852-8361
>xxxxxx@homer.louisville.edu

Andrew J. Grant, Ph.D.
Director of Foundation and Corporate Relations
The Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway, New York, New York 10027
Voice: (212) 678-8934; FAX: (212) 678-8941
E-mail: xxxxxx@jtsa.edu (Andrew J. Grant)