Re: self-support by professor Barbara Gray 16 Sep 1997 08:33 EST

We had someone who wanted to do something similar here--wanted to give
money to our foundation for a scholarship but then wanted to earmark the
scholarship for a certain student.  Our institution said no--that was no
longer a gift because strings were attached and there was conflict of
interest.  My previous institution did accept some personal dollars from an
individual who turned around and used those dollars to support his own
research.  His activity was not monitored closely and he spent his account
into the red.  We had a heck of a time getting more money from him to cover
the deficit.  Definitely not a good way to handle this kind of situation.
I would only do this sort of thing here with consultation and agreement of
all the powers that be and with everything being open and with procedures
in place to prevent any perception of conflict of interest--perhaps having
another faculty member evaluate and select students for participation, etc.
 Even then, I question whether the PI could take the tax deduction if
he/she gets support for his/her own research as a result.  I will be
curious to see other responses to a very interesting question.

Barbara H. Gray                              Telephone:   803-953-5673
Director of Sponsored Programs       Fax:            803-953-6577
College of Charleston                       e-mail:         xxxxxx@cofc.edu
66 George Street                             http://www.cofc.edu/~osp
Charleston, SC  29424                     Location:  407-G Bell Building

----------
From: Ross, Stuart <xxxxxx@EXCHANGE.FULLERTON.EDU>; Research Administration
Discussion Group <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>
Subject: self-support by professor
Date: Monday, September 15, 1997 7:50 PM

An adjunct professor here has expressed an interest in giving funds to
the university to support her own research.  In particular, she wants to
give funds that could be used to hire students to work under her
supervision and to buy lab equipment and supplies.  The professor is
well regarded on campus, already has some lab space on campus, has done
work for us on grants from industry.  The work is independent of any
existing grant or project on campus and does not involve other faculty
members.  The work (in an area of biotech) would probably lead to
publications but may also be of financial benefit to the professor's
consulting work.  The professor is being open about wanting to structure
this correctly.

Not being familiar with this kind of situation, we are considering the
complications about conflict of interest, grant or contract conditions,
tax deductions, etc.  I'd be interested in hearing advice or experiences
on what issues and procedures are most important in such a case.
Thanks.

Stuart Ross
California State University, Fullerton