Re: Questions to a pre-award faculty grants officer Herbert B. Chermside 10 Sep 1997 08:32 EST

At 10:24 AM 9/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
> I know these questions are not typical to this list, however we are
>requesting a response from the list to the following questions that were
>recently asked of a pre-award faculty grants officer:
>
>1. Can you (as a pre-award grants officer) write yourself/your office into
>grants?

Yes, if you make a substantive contribution to the project.  However, it is
unlikely that you can do that in your role as pre-award grants officer, but
instead, while wearing another hat.

>2. Should you be proactive in writing grants?

Depends on the needs of the institution.  What is, should be, do you desire,
your job description to be?

>3. If the grants office generates a grant, does there always need to be a
>project director or PI?

YES -- and not the pre-award grants officer (except see below)

>4. Can grants be written specifically to support a faculty grants office?

I suppose so -- you'd have to find a sponsor who felt that it was their goal
to increase the grant-seeking capabilities of your institution.  Most
sponsors look at that investment as the institution's own responsibility,
but who knows?  You may find just the angel who wishes to bless your
institution!!  Good Hunting!!

>Your responses would be most appreciated.
>
>Thank you in advance for your responses.
>
>Please send responses to xxxxxx@pemal.net.

Chuck
Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs Admin.
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568
Voice:  (804) 828-6772