Re: Editing proposals Rosemary Ruff 05 Sep 1997 18:58 EST

I have done this on several occasions in the past (although not here at
Auburn)  for for-profits and for state and local government agencies.  It
was done through a recharge center at center rates (hourly) plus direct
charging of all supplies, communications, and personnel not covered by the
rate charge. I wrote a proposal to the person/agency making the request
which outlined the services to be provided, estimated budget, and the
period of performance. It also included a time-line for both parties so
that my office wouldn't be caught in a time crunch which would interfere
with service to the faculty.  The proposal also made it clear that the
work was not guaranteed, i.e., was a best effort, so that they couldn't
complain if they didn't get the award.

The services varied, dependent upon the types and amount of assistance
needed.  Sometimes it was just editing, sometimes it was "soup to nuts" -
including even writing the proposal, finding faculty to provide technical
review, and completing all forms, etc.  Also, I refused all requests in
which we would be in competition with them for the awards to prevent any
appearance of a conflict of interest.

We never encountered any problems doing this but we also never solicited
such projects.  Further, we always made sure that all costs were recovered
fully - no waivers of indirect and no matching, even for state and local
government agencies.

Rosemary Ruff

Rosemary H. Ruff                   VOICE: 334-844-4438
Assistant Director                 FAX:   334-844-5953
Contracts & Grants Administration  EMAIL: xxxxxx@mail.auburn.edu
Auburn University, AL 36849-5131
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et
fructuosis potiri potes!