Re: Genetic Discrimination Law Herbert B. Chermside 27 Aug 1997 07:13 EST

As of yesterday (Tuesday, 8/26/97)  there was commentary on PBS that Sect'y
Donna S. of HHS is pushing federal legislation limiting the distribution of
medical records.  My impression from that, and a couple of other PBS
comments in the last month is, NO PROTECTION FROM GENETIC DISCRIMINATION OR
DISCRIMINATION ON THE BASIS OF ANY MEDICAL INFORMATION EXISTS;  no specific
comment on genetic info was made yesterday.
Chuck

At 01:50 PM 8/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone know if there is a federal genetic discrimination law that
>prevents employers and insurance companies from discriminating against
>individuals who participate in a genetic research study and are
>subsequently found to carry a gene that puts the individual at a higher
>risk of a serious disease?  If such a law exists, can you tell me where to
>find it?  Thanks.
>
>Barbara H. Gray                            Telephone:   803-953-5673
>Director of Sponsored Programs      Fax:            803-953-6577
>College of Charleston                     e-mail:         xxxxxx@cofc.edu
>Charleston, SC  29424                   Location:     407G Bell Building

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs Admin.
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568
Voice:  (804) 828-6772