Re: Department of Justice Grant Mark Abbey 15 Aug 1997 03:48 EST

Date:          Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:57:35 -0700
From:          Research Administration Discussion Group
 <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>
Subject:       Department of Justice Grant
To:            Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L
 <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>

Last week we received a grant from the Justice Department's Office of
Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention for continuing funding of a
project in our Social Science Research Institute.  The award includes a
requirement for prior approval of any publications.  We have been told by
the agency that the requirement results from their belief that they are not
always appropriately credited.  We have requested alternative language, and
are waiting for it to be considered.

We know that a handful of other universities received awards with this
language, but we weren't told who they are.  If you received one of the
awards, could you call or e-mail me?  We may be more effective if we
coordinate efforts in some way.
************************************
We have had the same experience on a couple of OJJDP awards here
at the University at Albany.  We proposed the words "prior review" to
OJJDP as opposed to "prior approval."   They accepted our change and
issued a revised award notice accordingly.  Good luck.

Mark Abbey
Associate for Sponsored Programs
The Research Foundation of SUNY
University at Albany, Admin 216