Re: Delivering Targeted Information to Local Research Kevin Crosby 01 Aug 1997 10:39 EST

 Community -Reply

Dear Frustrated in Israel:

If you'd like every faculty member at your institution to have their
very own webpage, don't create a separate file for every person.
Instead create a database system that can create a webpage "on
the fly" each time it is queried by the user.  It's almost impossible
to keep hundreds of webpages updated, but a database system
tracking faculty interests and grant programs can do it pretty
easily.
Most of the current versions of database products have web
interfaces now, so pick one and find someone who can set up
the system.
As for delivering information only to those people who want it, you
could also set up a number of email lists on specific topics and
send grant announcements to the people subscribed to those
lists.

Kevin
http://www.depaul.edu/~ospr/

At 02:19 PM 7/31/97 +0300, xxxxxx@ashur.cc.biu.ac.il wrote:
>Hello fellow frustrated research-data administrators:
>
>One of the most difficult multi-stage tasks I face is (1) effectively
>delivering (2) quality information to (3) ONLY those who need it,
>without bombarding other researchers with "bad" information.
>
>To solve some of these problems I am exploring the possibility
of
>building on our website a collection of personal researcher
information
>pages.
>
>Through a username / pasword-controlled mechanism a
researcher would