Re: SBIR and STTR AND Faculty Owned/Controlled Companies Elaine Brock 24 Jul 1997 06:24 EST

 We revised our intellectual property policy last year to eliminate a
prohibition on faculty doing further research in the university on
technologies that had been licensed to their companies or reassigned to them.
Often these continuation projects are funded with SBIR or STTR money. (Note
that the PHS and NIH conflict rules exclude an ownership interest in an
SBIR/applicant institution from the definition of "significant financial
interest". The NIH STTR program guidelines allow the PI for the applicant
company to be a university employee and require that there be a significant
connection between the university PI and the applicant company.)
 Conflict of interest policies for the university, the state, and additional
policies promulgated by individual schools and colleges require disclosure of
these situations. We view each one independently but have developed some
models that seem to work to make the situations you mentioned manageable. We
monitor these situations closely and require reports to the conflict of
interest committee on a semiannual basis. We avoid sweetheart deals, i.e., we
will give a faculty owned company terms no better than we would give other
sponsors under similar conditions. We allow faculty owned companies to use
university facilities on the same basis that we allow other companies to do so
(i.e., unique facilities which have established and uniformly applied recharge
rates) We avoid situations in which the work the faculty member does inside
the university cannot be distinguished from their work for the company. We try
not to have a single faculty member wearing multiple hats while dealing with
students or other employees for whom they are responsible i.e., a faculty
member cannot hire a student on a subcontract from their company and also be
their thesis chair.
 Times have changed. While I don't think paying attention to this stuff is
being overly fussy. I do think these situations can be dealt with and promote
the university's missions of education, research and service.
Elaine L. Brock
University of Michigan
P (313) 764-7250
F (313) 764-8510