Re: Post Award Issue Mary T. Spina, CRA 29 May 1997 16:58 EST

>Am cross posting this to CFRNET and RESADM-L.  It's a basic post-award
>question from someone who's spent most of his career in the pre-award area.
>We recently received a grant from a foundation and need to do some cost
>sharing.  The funds from the foundation will be deposited, as usual, in a
>restricted fund account.  Is it appropriate to move institutional funds and
>perhaps a donor designated gift into the same account or does each stream need
>its own account number?

Andrew -

Keep the funds separate.  You will probably be expected to report on
expenditures and be able to account for the foundation funds and the
matching funds.

There is no clean way to do this if it is all in one account.  By keeping
separate accounts, you can report on revenue and expenditures in each,
whereas if they were lumped together, the only detail you could provide is
a revenue split, not an expenditure split.

- Mary Spina

Mary T. Spina, CRA
Director
Grants Administration
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
345 E. Superior Street, Room 1512
Chicago, IL 60611-3015
Phone:  (312) 908-2908
FAX:    (312) 908-2208
Email:  xxxxxx@nwu.edu
"An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the
William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger."
 --Dan Rather

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.