Re: Adjunct Appointments -Reply Mary Ann Jurgus 20 May 1997 09:50 EST

We require that the Department Chair sign off on all grant
submissions from his/her department and that an adjunct, fellow
or student have a full time faculty member listed as a co-PI on our
internal "Grant Approval Routing Form".

Mary Ann Jurgus
Manager, Research Administration
Loyola University @ Medical Center
2160 S. First Ave. - 105/3845
Maywood, Il. 60153
p: 1-708-216-4288
f: 1-708-216-5881
e: xxxxxx@luc.edu

>>> Research Administration Discussion Group
<xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us> 5/19/97  9:49 am >>>
Our primary concern with adjunct appointments where the
person will be a
PI on a grant/contract is that the person has no vested interest in
the
University and if unethical can walk away at any time. To
counteract this
we require that an adjunct professor have the Dean or
Department Chair as
a co-pi on the grant. This allows us to keep control of the funds.

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Research Administration Discussion Group
wrote:

> We are in the process of setting up Adjunct Research (Assistant,
> Associate) Professor appointments for individuals who either
have
> external funding or are seeking external funding and who want
to be
> affiliated with the university.  The PI's salary and benefits would
> come off of the grant; no university funds would be used for
support.

> The only university obligation would probably be access to the
> library and possibly athletic facilities, though the department
would
> hopefully also furnish office space, perhaps access to student
help,
> etc.  So far as I can tell, the benefits would cover liability,
> workman's comp, etc., the same as other university employees.
>
> I would appreciate it if you would share your experiences re:
adjunct
> appointments with me, preferably back to this listserve or else to
my
> email address.  I am concerned that there might be something
we are
> overlooking that could create later problems, either within the
> academic arena or from the administrative/financial side.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chuck Howard
> xxxxxx@uncrc.univnorthco.edu

Dr. Marianne Rinaldo Woods
Director
Office of Research Administration and Sponsored Projects
The University of Texas at Dallas
Phone: 972-883-2313
Fax: 972-883-2310
E-mail: xxxxxx@utdallas.edu