Re: Proposal Tracking Database Designs John Piccolini 25 Apr 1997 08:05 EST

At 12:31 PM 4/24/97 -0600, you wrote:
>We are in the process of trying to re-engineer our proposal tracking
>database, and at this point we are seriously thinking about creating the
>system in Microsoft's Access.  The program we are currently using to
>track proposals is Q&A and runs in DOS.  Although the program has a
>Windows version, it leads a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.
>
>I would like to hear from other Research and Sponsored Program offices
>who have recently developed proposal tracking systems in Access.
>
>Here are some questions I have about developing such a system in
>Access:
>
>1.  One advantage with developing a program in Access it would seem is
>the ability to develop letters to investigators and integrate the program
>with other Microsoft applications.  What has been your experience?  Is
>integration easy or cumbersome?  (Be honest.  As far as I know, Bill
>Gates does not subscribe to this list.)
>
>2.  I have heard complaints from Access users regarding the report
>mechanism of the product.  What has been your office's experience?
>What products do you use for developing reports if you do not use
>Access to run your reports?
>
>3.  Do you plan to use your database program as a front-end application
>for EDI grant submissions, or do you plan to use this as a back-end
>application - meaning you will collect the data from EDI grant
>submissions?
>
>4.  Would you be willing to share your database program design? And
>more important, would you be willing to share this design and perhaps
>charge a nominal shareware fee to recoup costs?
>
>Mike Luczak
>Grants Administrator
>Research Administration - HSC
>http://www.slu.edu/research/services
>xxxxxx@wpogate.slu.edu
>Phone:  577-8108
>Fax:  268-5551

I would be interested in the responses to these questions as well. We are
currently using Q&A for Windows but are considering Access, too. Thanks

Deborah Eisenberg
Research Information Systems Coordinator
Albert Einstein Healthcare Network
xxxxxx@hslc.org