Re: Proposal Tracking Database Designs Charles Whitaker 25 Apr 1997 08:59 EST

Research Administration Discussion Group wrote:

> We are in the process of trying to re-engineer our proposal tracking
> database, and at this point we are seriously thinking about creating the
> system in Microsoft's Access.  The program we are currently using to
> track proposals is Q&A and runs in DOS.  Although the program has a
> Windows version, it leads a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.
>
> I would like to hear from other Research and Sponsored Program offices
> who have recently developed proposal tracking systems in Access.
>
> Here are some questions I have about developing such a system in
> Access:
>
> 1.  One advantage with developing a program in Access it would seem is
> the ability to develop letters to investigators and integrate the program
> with other Microsoft applications.  What has been your experience?  Is
> integration easy or cumbersome?  (Be honest.  As far as I know, Bill
> Gates does not subscribe to this list.)
>
> 2.  I have heard complaints from Access users regarding the report
> mechanism of the product.  What has been your office's experience?
> What products do you use for developing reports if you do not use
> Access to run your reports?
>
> 3.  Do you plan to use your database program as a front-end application
> for EDI grant submissions, or do you plan to use this as a back-end
> application - meaning you will collect the data from EDI grant
> submissions?
>
> 4.  Would you be willing to share your database program design? And
> more important, would you be willing to share this design and perhaps
> charge a nominal shareware fee to recoup costs?
>
> Mike Luczak
> Grants Administrator
> Research Administration - HSC
> http://www.slu.edu/research/services
> xxxxxx@wpogate.slu.edu
> Phone:  577-8108
> Fax:  268-5551

In the near term I am planning to use access to track proposals.  I would
be very interested in learning if anyone has already developed such a
program and would share their experiences (and maybe even their program)
with me regarding this subject.
--
Charles Whitaker
Desert Research Institute