Re: Use of U.S. Flag Carriers Mitchell, Linda 24 Apr 1997 08:01 EST

Hi --

I just attended a conference 2 weeks ago, conducted by the Government =
Contractor's Committee of the National Business Travelers Association, that =
=
addressed this issue.  Representatives from various federal agencies =
confirmed that when "code share" agreements are in place between US and =
foreign carriers, it is allowable as long as the ticket is issued under the =
=
name of the US carrier and it makes reference to a US flight number. =
 "Flying partner" status between two airlines is not the same as a code =
share arrangement.

So, unless someone else has heard otherwise, I think you're A-OK.

Linda Mitchell, Director, Grants and Contracts
SUNY at Buffalo
xxxxxx@research.buffalo.edu
Phone:  (716) 645-2634 x100

 ----------
From: Research Administration Discuss
To: Multiple recipients of list RES
Subject: Use of U.S. Flag Carriers
Date: Wednesday, April 23, 1997 7:12PM

I called a travel agency today to check on a U.S. Flag Carrier route =3D
after a P.I. told me that the U.S. Carrier was completely booked so he =3D
would have to use a non-U.S. Flag Carrier. I found it hard to believe =3D
that there was no other American airline serving the route and earlier =3D
in the day he had told me that his family was making the same trip via =3D
Luftansa so he didn't see the point of flying in another plane beside =3D
them, etc.

The travel agent told me that Delta & Luftansa had an agreement and she =
=3D
could just book the tickets as Delta and that it is done all the time. I =
=3D
reiterated that this was under Federal funds with the U.S. Flag Carrier =
=3D
restrictions. I was told that, in some cases, even when there wasn't an =
=3D
agreement, they just ticketed under the originating U.S. carrier. I =3D
called a second travel agent and they are doing the same thing.

Is this allowable?

Val Seaquist
The University of Alabama in Huntsville
Office of Research Administration