Re: CFDA Numbers Joyce McAlexander 05 Mar 1997 13:25 EST

Mr. Miller,

I am transmitting the applicable excerpt from the Attachment
to OMB Circular A-133, revised April 22, 1996, which states:

Subpart D--Federal Agencies and Pass-Through Entities
?___.400 Responsibilities.

(c) Federal awarding agency responsibilities. The Federal awarding
agency shall perform the following for the Federal awards it makes:

 (1) Identify Federal awards made by informing each recipient of the
 CFDA title and number, award name and number, award year, and
 if the award is for R&D. When some of this information is not
available,
 the Federal agency shall provide information necessary to clearly
 describe the Federal award

I believe the language of the previous A-133 version (Revised March 1990)
was a bit more direct.  It read, under:

Section 13. Internal Controls Over Federal Awards;
Compliance Reviews, Paragraph c. Compliance Review.
(2) In order to determine which major programs ...To assist recipients
in identifying Federal awards, Federal agencies and primary recipients
shall provide the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA)
numbers to the recipients when making the awards.

Hope this is of some help.

**************************
Joyce McAlexander
Sponsored Programs Dept.
Cal Poly State University Foundation
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
e-mail: xxxxxx@calpoly.edu
phone: (805) 756-5730

 ----------
From: resadm-l
To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L
Subject: CFDA Numbers
Date: Tuesday, March 04, 1997 6:54PM

Our A-133 auditors state in their draft report that it is a requirement
to include CFDA numbers in agreements with subrecipients.  And, since we
didn't provide that number in an agreement they reviewed, the omission
is being reported as an immaterial finding with a recommendation that
steps be taken to ensure that agreements "contain all the required
information."  Are the auditors correct?  Is it a *requirement*?  If so,
please tell me where I can find it.  Thanks in advance for your
Jim Miller                                Tel: (603)862-3467
Office of Sponsored Research              Fax: (603)862-3564
University of New Hampshire               Email: xxxxxx@unh.edu
Durham, NH  03824-3585