Re: Skills Testing for Interview Candidates Marsha Green 26 Feb 1997 11:12 EST

 (Speaking as a person who has interviewed for various jobs of this
 type and as someone who has a bachelors in human resource management).

 Every office uses different types of software (email,
 excel..lotus...quatropro...etc.).  Not everyone has had to create a
 web page (this is pretty highly technical for the average person).
 Not everyone has had access to SPIN or the web or transferring Excel
 info to an NSF budget computer program.  I think you may be getting to
 "program specific" in your skills testing.  Most people if they are
 familiar with one spreadsheet program, can do another type.  In other
 words it is "learnable" very quickly.  Any of the things you mentioned
 are learnable.  By asking an individual to know these particular
 things, I think you're limiting your search down to a finite number.
 You may find it difficult to find someone who is able to pass all
 these tests.  I've been through various "typing" and "software" tests
 for positions in my "secretarial" days, so know that they're perfectly
 acceptable and widely used.  I can understand giving a typing test or
 even specific software but the others (web page, SPIN, NSF budget) are
 pretty job specific for your office and if the person has never worked
 in a sponsored projects office (is this entry level?) that would be
 expecting a lot.  These are all on-the-job type training.

 Marsha Green
 Sponsored Programs Coordinator
 UNLV
 xxxxxx@ccmail.nevada.edu

Subject: Skills Testing for Interview Candidates
Author:  Research Administration Discussion Group
<xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us> at SMTP-UNS
Date:    2/25/97 2:30 PM

I am about to begin interviewing to fill my new "Information and Technology
Coordinator" position.  I figure lots of us can say we have internet
searching, web page development, database searching, and misc. office
software experience, but I'll bet our levels of expertise vary widely. Since
it is difficult to determine the level of computer skills from job
applications, resumes, and even face-to-face interviews, I am proposing to
administer a "skills assessment" to the pool of candidates selected for
interviews.  It will include exercises on email, internet searching,
designing a simple web page, doing a SPIN search, and putting a simple
budget together in Excel and then downloading and filling out an NSF budget
form.  We use an employment panel to screen and recommend candidates; they
will approve the assessment and will review the output produced by
candidates.  The skills test will take place before the face-to-face
interview.

Our human resources director is balking at this--says "it appears to me
that this is a means of testing that cannot be validated."  She thinks we
will have some complaints from candidates.  I say there is no better way to
make sure the successful candidate has the level of skills required by the
position.  I also think it is far better to risk complaint now than to go
through the mess of terminating someone later who turns out to not be able
to do the job.

Before I do battle on this one, has anyone else had a similar situation
that you can share with me and the list members?  Can anyone with more
personnel experience that me explain the concern raised and/or offer
suggestions on other ways to be sure we hire someone who truly has the
"demonstrated skills" required in the job description?  (I don't especially
trust references or past employers--I've been burned once too often by
these folks who, for one reason or another, don't tell the whole truth!)

Thanks!

Barbara H. Gray                            Telephone:   803-953-5673
Director of Sponsored Programs      Fax:            803-953-6577
College of Charleston                     e-mail:         xxxxxx@cofc.edu
Charleston, SC  29424