Re: Just In Time and Modular Budget Prep. Jim Randolph 12 Feb 1997 17:27 EST

Here is a message I sent to Jayne Hoese last evening:

JIT and modular are slightly different approaches being tested by NIH.

The JIT scheme is used for a variety of awards (FIRST, Career Development, etc.)
 - directions for the FIRST Award can be found on the NIH Funding Opportunities
 home page at  http://www.nih.gov/grants/funding/funding.htm
Go there and open Program Guidelines; then open FIRST awards guidelines - a good
 example of the Just-In-Time process.  I suspect NIH will adopt some version of
 this for many of its competitions.  Main thrust of the concept is that certain
 specifics (detailed budgets, other support pages, etc) need not be included in
 the original application - if scientific merit warrants, NIH grants management
 staff can ask for additional materials at the last minute (just in time).

The modular grant program is used much less frequently - to this point,
 primarily by the Nat'l Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (I believe), and then
 only for specific RFAs (Requests For Application).  My initial read is that NIH
 will not adopt this scheme to any great extent, any time soon.

In either case, if the specific grant competition doesn't specify that you
 should submit using one of these new mechanisms, you shouldn't!

A good summary of all the current NIH "Reinvention" activities can be found at
 http://www.nih.gov/grants/dder/rein0796.htm

Jim Randolph, University of Michigan
--------
From: xxxxxx@SHRSYS.HSLC.ORG on Wed, Feb 12, 1997 5:23 PM