Re: Start-Up Funding Geri Walker 11 Feb 1997 19:50 EST

At Western Washington University the Deans have discretionary funds to be
used for start-up (I've seen new faculty given as much as $50,000); the
University President provides funds for computer support ($1,000/new faculty
member); and our office has a small start-up program specifically for
research equipment (usually between $5,000 and $10,000).  In addition, the
new faculty are strongly encouraged to submit a research or instructional
equipment proposal as soon as they are hired (before they arrive).  For
chemists, Research Corporation, American Chemical Society, and the Henry &
Camille Dreyfus Foundation all have good opportunities for new faculty.

Geri Walker, Director
Bureau for Faculty Research