Re: Grant Proposal Submission Carolyn Donow 31 Jan 1997 10:29 EST

A few years ago we adopted a policy that seems to have helped us without
alienating the faculty.  If a PI delivers his proposal for the final
institutional signature to our office two business days before it has to be
mailed, we will make the required copies and mail it.  If they don't meet
that deadline, we will still help with the budget and get the institutional
signature, but they have to make their own copies and mail it.  Everyone
seems to accept that as fair.

The main purpose was to relieve our clerical staff so that they would no
longer have to stay after hours to copy and mail a rush proposal.  However,
it has helped all of us since few faculty want to take the time and pay the
cost of copying and mailing.

>Like many sponsored programs offices, we have problems at the
>University at Albany with faculty "dropping off" proposals for
>processing the day before major federal deadlines.  I would
>appreciate any input on how your institution deals with PIs who
>deliver grant proposals for processing and submission at the last
>moment.
>
>Specifically, how many days prior to the sponsor imposed deadline
>does your institution's sponsored programs office require for
>proposal review, approval, and mailing?  What consequences, if any,
>result when a proposal arrives at the sponsored programs office after
>that date?  We are seriously considering imposing an office deadline
>three business days prior to the sponsor deadline after which there
>would be no guarantee of University review and endorsement of the
>proposal, and the PI would be responsible for making his/her own
>arrangements for delivery to and payment of an overnight currier.  Do
>any institutions currently have a similar policy?  What is your
>policy and how is it working?
>
>Our goal is not to alienate our faculty.  Obviously, there will
>always be some extreme extenuating circumstance which will preclude
>the PI from providing the sponsored programs office with a three
>business day "window."  On the other hand, the problem occurs
>frequently enough that we must do something.  I would be grateful for
>any insight.  Feel free to e-mail me directly at xxxxxx@albany.edu.
>
>Mark
>
>Mark Abbey
>Associate for Sponsored Programs