Re: Cost-sharing Volunteer Services Paul Parker 21 Jan 1997 02:47 EST

 At the State University of New York at Binghamton through our Research
Foundation we never cost share summer salary since in fact our faculty are
not on the State side payroll during the summer (they are paid over a 12
mos period but have a 9 mos. obligation).  I can't imagine how one can
justify cost share during the summer if the institution is not paying the
faculty.

Paul Parker, Director
Sponsored Funds Administration
State University of New York, Binghamton

>I have some questions about budgets that include volunteer time of the PI
>(summer salary "earned" but not requested) as part of the required match on
>a federal grant.
>
>Is this a common practice?  Can the institution claim the indirect costs to
>which we would have been entitled had that person been paid as an "in-kind"
>match?  Is the same time and effort reporting system used for paid summer
>salary sufficient documentation for auditors?
>
>If people respond to me directly I'll post a summary to the list.
>
>Franci Farnsworth
>
>Frances Vinal Farnsworth
>Coordinator of Sponsored Research
>Grants Office - Forest Hall