Re: CBD -- Free at Last Mary Husemoller 15 Jan 1997 17:36 EST

 Peg,

 FYI and any faculty that might be interested.  Maybe put in Campus
 Connections and have a link on our web site.

 Mary

Subject: CBD -- Free at Last
Author:  Research Administration Discussion Group
<xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us> at smtplink-unscs
Date:    1/13/97 2:48 PM

The Commerce Business Daily is finally available for free on the WEB.  I'm
cross posting this to three lists, but it probably be of most interest to the
folks on RESADM-L.

Andrew
--- On Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:14:27 -0800  Andrew Grant <xxxxxx@JTSA.EDU> wrote:
> [...]
> Port: 210
> lists notices of  proposed government procurement actions,
> contract awards, sales of government  property, and other
> procurement information. Each notice appears in the print
> CBD only once. Notices stay "active" in the CBD database
> online via GPO Access for 15  days and are then moved to
> an "archived" database.  Each notice is available as an
> ASCII text file. The database is updated continuously.
>
> WORLD WIDE WEB ACCESS
>
> You can connect to GPO Access via the World Wide Web.
> The address for the Superintendent of Documents' home
> page is: http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs. The page
> for connecting to the online databases directly is:
> http://cbdnet.access.gpo.gov
>
> TELNET ACCESS (SWAIS)
>
> You can also connect to GPO Access via Telnet. The
> address is swais.access.gpo.gov. Type guest (lowercase)
> at the login prompt (no password is required). You will
> be using SWAIS. File transfers are by Internet e-mail
> or screen capture.
>
> DIAL-IN ACCESS (SWAIS)
>
> Users without Internet access can dial-in.  Use a modem
> to  call 202-512-1661; type swais and then login as guest.
> The modem settings are 8N1, full duplex.  You will be
> using SWAIS. File transfers are by Internet e-mail or
> screen capture.
>
> WAIS CLIENT ACCESS
>
> If you are using WAIS client software, you will need
> to create a source file for the new database.
> Instructions for adding source files to the WinWAIS
> and MacWAIS client software are available below.
>
> A. Creating a Source File For WinWAIS:
>
> Execute the following steps to create a source file
> for the new database:
>
> 1. Open the WinWAIS software;
> 2. Pull down the Edit menu and select the Select Sources
>    menu item;
> 3. Click on the button labeled New;
> 4. Fill in the name, host and database fields using the
>    information provided above;
> 5. Fill in the database description (optional);
> 6. Click the OK button in the Edit WAIS Source Definition
>    Window;
> 7. Click on the OK button in the Selected WAIS Sources
>    Window.
>
> B. Creating a Source File For MacWAIS:
>
> Execute the following steps to create a source file for
> the new database:
>
> 1. Open the MacWAIS software;
> 2. Pull down the Sources menu and select the New menu
>    item;
> 3. Fill in the name, host and database fields using
>    the information provided above;
> 4. Fill in the database description (optional);
> 5. Click the OK button.
>
> Helpful Hints are available on the Federal Bulletin Board,
> the World Wide Web, or can be obtained by typing the Word
> "hints" while using the CBD database.
>
> For further assistance, contact the GPO Access User Support
> Team by e-mail at xxxxxx@gpo.gov, by phone at
> 1-888-293-6498 (toll free) of  202-512-1530 (local)

 http://www.gpo.ucop.edu/cgi-bin/gpogate?waisdoc=1&4=frwais.access.gpo.gov;1997_
 register/TEXT/4350/3=0%200%20/wais/indexes/1997_register/index.not;

--
Andrew J. Grant, Ph.D.
Date: @xxxxxx@
Time: @xxxxxx@