Re: Question about NSF payments to faculty Liz Lieberman 10 Jan 1997 08:35 EST

>Can anyone confirm or refute a rumor I've heard that the NSF is increasingly
>shying away from paying faculty salaries during the academic year?  I
>haven't seen this here and hope I never do but also don't want to be left in
>the dark if there is something to it.  Thanks.

My experience with NSF for many years has been that they have consistently
been reluctant to pay faculty salaries during the academic year.  As is
always the case at NSF, practice varies from program to program, but, more
often than not, the only PI salary they're willing to fund is for the
summer.  Have you had a different experience?  In which programs?

                            Liz Lieberman
                Director, Office of Sponsored Research
                    Assistant Dean of the College
                          Wellesley College
                         Wellesley, MA 02181
             Phone: (617) 283-3587   Fax: (617) 283-3695
                   E-mail: xxxxxx@wellesley.edu