Re: Question about NSF payments to faculty Jim Miller, OSR, 2-3467 10 Jan 1997 08:44 EST

Research Administration Discussion Group wrote:

> Can anyone confirm or refute a rumor I've heard that the NSF is increasingly
> shying away from paying faculty salaries during the academic year?  I
> haven't seen this here and hope I never do but also don't want to be left in
> the dark if there is something to it.  Thanks.
>
> Barbara H. Gray                         Telephone:  803-953-5673
> Director of Sponsored Programs          FAX:        803-953-6577
> College of Charleston                   e-mail:     xxxxxx@cofc.edu
> 66 George Street
> Charleston, South Carolina  29424
____________________________________

As I'm sure you know, the NSF Grant Proposal Guide, in Chapter
II.7.a.(i) "Policies" states in the second paragraph that "Compensation
for time normally spent on research within the term of appointment is
deemed to be included within the faculty member's regular
organizational salary."  I took the position a few years ago that the
statement doesn't necessarily prevent charging NSF grants for a portion
of a faculty member's "regular organizational salary" for effort on the
grant during the academic year -- especially given the provisions of
section 611.1 of the Grant Policy Manual which indicates that charges
to federal grants for salaries and wages are not to exceed the
proportionate share of the base salary during the academic year.
However, folks at NSF as well as internally disagreed with me, saying
it is clear to them that the intent of the proposal guide policy is to
have the institution pay from non-NSF funds the full amount of the
faculty "regular" salary.  It became political, so I dropped the issue.

Just out of curiousity, I'd like to know if faculty appointments at
your institution includes time for research as they do here at UNH. If
so, and your NSF awards have included funds for effort during the
academic year as your message implies, I may decide to again broach the
subject here.  (Not that it will do much good if it's true that NSF is
even more adamant about not paying those salaries.)  If you'd like to
respond to me directly, my e-mail address is below.

I'd be interested in a summary of the responses you receive to your
inquiry.
--
Jim Miller                                Tel: (603)862-3467
Office of Sponsored Research              Fax: (603)862-3564