Re: Foundation Data Bases Barbara Gray 07 Jan 1997 07:44 EST

We have subscribed to Knight-Ridder OnDisc (the database that Oryx Press
uses in its printed guides to funding).  That has been helpful in
identifying smaller funders, many of whom are private.  We also subscribed
to the Taft Prospectors Choice on CDROM.  I don't think it was worth the
money at all since it doesn't use key words.  All you can select is type of
institution, general category of support (e.g., education, higher
education), and geographic location.  So the same list of potentials comes
up on just about every search.  I understand the Foundation Center is coming
out with an electronic database of some sort.  We plan to look at that as a
possible replacement for Taft--but only if it uses a real detailed key word
search.

At 04:22 PM 1/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>We are currently evaluating corporate and private foundation data bases
>as a means to locate information on potential sponsors.  I am interested in
>any recommendations from you as to which ones you found particularly
>useful.  Thank you.
>
>Carl Fox
>Director, Office of Research & Program Development
>University of North Dakota
>Grand Forks, ND

Barbara H. Gray                         Telephone:  803-953-5673
Director of Sponsored Programs          FAX:        803-953-6577
College of Charleston                   e-mail:     xxxxxx@cofc.edu
66 George Street
Charleston, South Carolina  29424