Re: Project No. & Proposal No. Charles E. Graham, Ph.D. 13 Dec 1996 09:42 EST

We do approximately the same thing as Marsha. Our Proposal and IRB
databases are in the process of being linked so that if proposal # shows in
the IRB database, it will show in the Proposal DB. In addition we ask
for the sponsor in IRB applications and continuing review reports, so if a
sponsor shows up, we can easily find the corresponding proposal record
(useful because PI's are not very good at keeping up with proposal and
IRB #s).

Usually when a grant proposal is submitted, an IRB # has not been assigned
yet (though we may change that), and often when an IRB application is made,
external support is still being sought. so an alternate means of linking
records in the two databases is important.

Integrating compliance (IACUC, IRB, Radiosafety and Biohazard databases)
with the proposal tracking database is well worth doing, though the
fragmentation of functions and level of IT support on many campuses makes
it difficult. There are some integrated commercial packages out there.

Charlie.

 _________________________________
>Subject: Project No. & Proposal No.
>Author:  Research Administration Discussion Group
><xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us> at SMTP-UNS
>Date:    12/12/96 3:55 PM
>

>I would like to know if anyone has developed a system to link the IRB and/or
>IACUC project approval number(s) with the grant proposal number.  We recently
>had a case in which the title of the IRB project and the title of the grant
>proposal were different and we had to do soem in depth, paper-file hunting to
>discover the link.  Part of the difficulty arises from the requirements fo
>different agencies with regard to approval (ranging from "needs approval prior
>to applying for the grant" to "needs approval within 90 days of receiving
>funding approval").

 * Charles E. Graham, PhD., DSc.              xxxxxx@UNIX1.SNCC.LSU.EDU
 * Director, Office of Sponsored Research/OSR
 * Interim Chair, Institutional Review Board
 * 117 David Boyd Hall, Louisiana State University
 * Baton Rouge, LA 70810
 *
 * 504-388-8692    FAX: 503-388-6792
 *