Re: Record retention JANE YOUNGERS 06 Dec 1996 16:21 EST

Oh, I've been trying to keep quiet during this discussion, but I can no longer.

The original implementation of A-110 by the Department of Education did have
the five year record retention requirement.  They stated statutory reasons
for this.  On September 6, 1995 (FR, Vol. 60, No. 172, pg 46491) they rolled
the requirement back to three years.  They are now consistent with A-110.

Remember this retention period is for assistance agreements (grants and
cooperative agreements).  There are other retention periods for contracts as
specified in the FAR ranging for 4 to 7 years.

Jane

>The 5 year record retention requirement for Department of Education projects
>can be found in EDGAR (Education Department General Administrative
>Regulations).  The citation is 34CFR part 74.53(b).  The wording is almost
>identical to A-110 except that the three has been changed to a five.  I
>believe that many of us found out a couple of years ago that this also
>applies to Financial Aid records.
>Richard Hamma                   Voice  -  406-243-5132
>Business Services                       Fax     -  406-243-4867
>The University of Montana               Email  -  xxxxxx@selway.umt.edu
>Missoula, MT   59812

Jane A. Youngers
Director of Grants Management
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio TX  78284-7828

xxxxxx@uthscsa.edu
(210) 567-2333