Re: Faculty wage rates Janiece Harrison 27 Nov 1996 09:30 EST

This is an issue that always causes us concern:  sponsors who insist on
hourly rates for faculty.  If we can't convince the sponsor to accept
the budget based upon a % effort, we will offer to provide an ESTIMATE
of hours worked.  We always state that is only an estimate and that
exempt employees will not be compensated on an hourly basis and hourly
pay records will not be maintained for those individuals.  Here is how
we do the estimate:

52 weeks x 40hrs./wk=2080 hrs./yr
2080 hrs/yr. divided by 12 months=173.3 hrs./month
Then we multiply the % effort we plan to devote during the academic year
or the number of summer months we plan to work on the project by these
factors.

--
Janiece Harrison
Assistant Director