Re: unfundable proposals Marianne G. Kaplan 21 Nov 1996 09:42 EST

>A philosophical query: what do you do when a faculty/staff person brings you a
>proposal which you are virtually certain will not be funded?  Maybe it's a
>not-very-good proposal headed for stiff competition, maybe it's a good proposal
>headed for the wrong place, maybe it's an okay proposal a year or two behind
>its time.
>
>In any case, how honest are you with the writer?  Do you propose alterations,
>maybe offer to edit/rewrite yourself?  Do you offer to search for other, more
>likely, sources of funding?  How do you avoid causing terminal discouragement?
>
>Bill Campbell
>Director, Grants & Research
>University of Wisconsin-River Falls

My question would be:  what type of critique system is utilized prior to
the "submission" time?  In our institution, our Director of Research makes
every effort to work with the PI during the entire process, to (hopefully)
make certain things are being directed appropriately.  We frequently send
out drafts to experts for critique and suggestions.  This has helped avoid
the situation you describe.

Marianne Kaplan

Marianne G. Kaplan
Administrative Supervisor