Re: unfundable proposals Marcia L. Zuzolo 20 Nov 1996 08:47 EST

This is a very good question. At my institution we take the posture
that if the department chair and the dean don't question the
project, then we pretty much don't either. The reality, of course, is
that department chairs and deans aren't always as scrupulous as they
should be, and if anyone has ideas on how to address their bad
habits, let's talk.

However, I do encourage faculty to work with me in the development of
their proposal. That's when we can address the appropriateness of a
sponsor, their research design, the timeliness, their writing style.
It's a team approach, and my stance is that it's my job to get these
guys talking and thinking out loud with me. Generally, my research
skills and academic training are not in the same discipline as the
person I'm working with, but by asking questions ("Really? Are you
sure this hasn't been addressed in the literature?" ... "I'm not sure
this project on neopagan feminist art is really appropriate for NEH
right now; have you talked with a program officer?") I tell the
faculty up front that I am a tough critic and a brutal editor with a
kind heart, but that it's to their advantage to have me or one of
their colleagues asking the hard questions, rather than the sponsor's
reviewers.

> A philosophical query: what do you do when a faculty/staff person brings you a
> proposal which you are virtually certain will not be funded?

Marcia Landen Zuzolo
Sponsored Research Services
Bryan Hall, Room 1
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405
812/855-0516 (v)
812/855-9943 (f)
xxxxxx@indiana.edu

Know yourself. Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that
 you are wonderful.
-Anonymous