Re: NSF Fastlane System Sandra Mann 14 Nov 1996 07:39 EST

>A question for any of you who've been using this system for awhile...
>
>NSF pre-loads the system with the names of all PI's from your institution
>who have ever submitted proposals.  What are the pro's and con's of
>cleaning up that list by deleting the names of those faculty members who
>have died, retired, or otherwise moved on and aren't expected back?
>
>My first instinct was to delete all those names -- but once done they would
>be hard to retrieve.  So I'm looking for advice from the more
>experienced...
>
>Thanks.
>
>Frances Vinal Farnsworth
>Coordinator of Sponsored Research
>Grants Office - Forest Hall
>Middlebury College
>Middlebury, VT  05753
>
>Tel:  802-443-5889
>Fax:  802-443-2083
>email:  xxxxxx@mail.middlebury.edu

Dear Frances,

At University of Florida we have been leaving the names NSF has entered from
their data on the database. As we register faculty and assign PINs we either
update the data to be sure it is correct or add the faculty member to the
database.  As with many large and comprehensive databases, at some point (in
the future) it might be a good idea to clean-up the data.  However, you
might not want to remove some faculty who are no longer at your institution
if archival information were of importance to your insititution.
Sandra Mann
Assistant Director for University Research
University of Florida
219 Grinter Hall
Gainesville, Florida 32611
352/392-1582