Re: tenure-track vs. research track appointments Naegel, Gary P. 16 Oct 1996 07:50 EST

Mary:
 We had a research track faculty member received a scholar type award,
so it is possible, particularly if this scientist is considered to be
outstanding by the department and the institution.   The institutional
commitment would be needed to continued with their assigned laboratory
space.    If this person is not involved in teaching students, they would
not be considered for a tenure track (or teaching track) appointment in our
institution.       ,,,,,,,,,,gary

Gary P. Naegel
Administrator, Pharmacology
Yale School of Medicine
333 Cedar Street  P.O. 208066
New Haven, CT  06520-8066
(203) 785-4373
(203) 785-7670  FAX
xxxxxx@yale.edu

 ----------
From: Research Administration Discussion Group
To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L
Subject: tenure-track vs. research track appointments
Date: Tuesday, October 15, 1996 4:32PM

hello everyone -

i'm wondering if any of you have ever come across this...  we have a
faculty member who is wondering whether or not a research-track appointment
is a good idea for him.  i won't go into all the gory details, but my
question is this - if this faculty memer is planning on submitting a K
award proposal, which must include institutional commitments, will a
research track appointment be looked upon negatively by reviewers?  since
research track appointments are solely based on monies that the faculty
member brings in, will the institutional commitment look lacking?  should
this faculty member push for a tenure track appointment.

thoughts on this?  thanks in advance for any guidance!

 - mary

Mary T. Nemeth, CRA
Manager, Grants Administration
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
345 E. Superior Street, Room 1512
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone:  (312) 908-2908
FAX:    (312) 908-2208
Email:  xxxxxx@merle.acns.nwu.edu

I hope if dogs ever take over the world and they choose a king, they don't
just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good
ideas.    -- Jack Handey