Re: Clinical Study IDC Rates Robert Aull 21 Aug 1996 18:29 EST

Fellow Administrators:  I think we have to stick together and hold
the line at 25% overhead on total direct costs for clinical trials.
We continue to have companies attempt to chip away at that figure,
arguing competitive pricing and volume of business.  We use 25% and
we don't like items exempted from the indirect base, as the lower
rate is reduction enough.

I should add that animal studies and bench research performed for
drug or for-profit companies should be charged at (or as close as
humanly possible to) our standard DHHS rate of 50%.  The argument
that clinical studies require less research infrastructure is
debatable and certainly does not apply to animal models and bench
research.

And, I would be interested in hearing the results of your poll, Tom
Roberts:

> Dear Colleagues-
>
> The indirect cost rate for clincial studies at the University of
> Florida is 25% of total direct costs.  What are the rates applied to
> clinical studies at some of your institutions?  Please indicate what
> base is used.  Thanks for your help.  If there is interest I can post
> results to whoever is interested.  Thanks.

> Thomas J. Roberts, Assistant Director for Research
> University of Florida, College of Medicine
> Phone (904) 392-5398, Fax (904) 392-7427
> e-mail  "xxxxxx@dean.med.ufl.edu"

Robert Aull      xxxxxx@research.dmed.iupui.edu
Research Administration (317)274-8664 {FAX-7499}
Indiana University/Department of Medicine
541 Clinical Drive (CL635) Indpls IN 46202-5111