Re: Institutional Review Boards Mary Husemoller 19 Aug 1996 12:45 EST

 At the current time we, at the University of NV, Reno do not charge
 such a fee but we are considering doing so.  Our problem is that our
 medical school faculty also work at the VA hospital and run many of
 their drug testing projects thru a foundation associated with the VA
 and the university has, so far, allowed them to do this.  We are
 searching for a way to not only charge them for processing their human
 subjects protocols, but to actually collect.

 So, there's another piece of the previous question to ponder.  Anybody
 else figured it out???

 Mary Husemoller
 Director, Sponsored Projects Admin.
 University of Nevada, Reno

Subject: Institutional Review Boards
Author:  Research Administration Discussion Group
<xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us> at smtplink-unscs
Date:    8/16/96 2:53 PM

Do any insitutions out there require some form of payment/compensation in
order for an outside firm/company/other school to utilize their Insitutional
Review Board (IRB) to conduct reviews/give approval for the conduct of
proposed projects involving human subjects? Does it depend on whether the
institution itself has involvement and whether a faculty member might be
working on the research project? What if there is no connection to the
institution with the IRB in place. Finally, if you do charge to provide
approval on a project by project basis, where is such payment credited? To
some university account, or to your office of Sponsored Research/Grants and
Contracts? Thanks for all your input! :)
Nancy Hutchinson
Assistant Director
Office of Grants and Contracts
Nova Southeastern University