Re: RESEARCH FOUNDATION BASICS? Howard Kaplan 01 Aug 1996 10:48 EST

At 08:12 AM 7/31/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I see this issue being constantly raised by public institutions and my
>first response is:
>
>WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO THIS???
>
>The answers I receive are usually not compelling or clear but many times
>the underlying message is that the Foundation is being considered because
>it will be "free" of the university and state controls.  My personal
>experience is that this argument fails the "duck test" everytime.
>
>If it walks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.
>
>The firewalls that should exist typically do  not.  For example, state
>employees work at the Foundation but the Foundation will want to subsidize
>salaries for some employees "for excellent performance" even though they
>would not be allowed this through state channels.
>
>I would be vary wary of doing this without alot of thought and without
>gathering the opinions of individuals who have done this in the past
>decade.
>
>> TONY -
 THANKS FOR THE CAVEATS.  I DO PLAN TO LIST A NUMBER OF THOSE WHEN I
PRESENT MY ASSESSMENT TO OUR POWERS-THAT-BE.  INCIDENTALLY, ONE KEY ISSUE
FOR US, AS A UNIT OF THE UNIVERSITY SYSTEM OF GEORGIA, IS THAT WE ARE RULED
BY THE DOCTRINE OF THE FISCAL YEAR MAGIC ACT--I.E., EVERYTHING, INCLUDING
RECOVERED INDIRECT COSTS (A.K.A. FACILITIES AND ADMINISTRATION), MUST BE
SPENT/ENCUMBERED BY JUNE 30; OR IT IS LOST.  A RESEARCH FOUNDATION WOULD
FACILITATE OUR DEVELOPMENT OF A RESEARCH SUPPORT FUND WHICH WOULD HAVE A
CHANCE TO GROW.

REGARDS,
HOWIE