Re: RESEARCH FOUNDATION BASICS? Tony Boccanfuso 31 Jul 1996 07:12 EST

I see this issue being constantly raised by public institutions and my
first response is:

WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO THIS???

The answers I receive are usually not compelling or clear but many times
the underlying message is that the Foundation is being considered because
it will be "free" of the university and state controls.  My personal
experience is that this argument fails the "duck test" everytime.

If it walks and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

The firewalls that should exist typically do  not.  For example, state
employees work at the Foundation but the Foundation will want to subsidize
salaries for some employees "for excellent performance" even though they
would not be allowed this through state channels.

I would be vary wary of doing this without alot of thought and without
gathering the opinions of individuals who have done this in the past
decade.

>    Georgia Southern University is considering setting up a Research
>Foundation.
>    At this time, we have only a "generic" foundation which is associated with
>    our Development Office.
>
>    I would be interested in receiving any information that relates to such
>    issues as:  Articles of Incorporation (incidentally, Georgia Southern is a
>    public institution; a unit of the University System of Georgia);
>    relationships with the Research and Sponsored Programs Office (for us, this
>    has meant "pre-award, with some nonfiscal post-award"); relationships with
>    the Grants and Contracts Office (i.e., an office which is responsible for
>    the fiscal issues, primarily post-award); avoiding duplication of effort,
>    personnel, etc.; impact on distribution of Indirect Costs (for the
>feds, now
>    referred to as "Facilities and Administrative" costs); start-up
>    considerations, including costs; some of the benefits; some of the
>    shortcomings/hassles; incorporating as a nonprofit; having a for-profit
>    component/affiliate; is your organization currently planning any changes in
>    the way you're dealing with the above issues?
>
>    That's a mouthful!  If you have any relevant documents I can get from your
>    Web or Gopher sites, that also would be quite helpful.  THANKS.
>
>    Howie Kaplan
>    Director of Research Services and Sponsored Programs

Anthony M. Boccanfuso, Ph.D.
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs and Research
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403
419-372-2481; 419-372-0304 (fax)
http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/spar/HomePage.html