RESEARCH FOUNDATION BASICS? Howard Kaplan 30 Jul 1996 13:31 EST

Sender: Research Administration Discussion Group
 <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>
From: Research Administration Discussion Group
 <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>
Subject:      Fringe benefits for postdoctoral employees
To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>

 Georgia Southern University is considering setting up a Research Foundation.
 At this time, we have only a "generic" foundation which is associated with
 our Development Office.

 I would be interested in receiving any information that relates to such
 issues as:  Articles of Incorporation (incidentally, Georgia Southern is a
 public institution; a unit of the University System of Georgia);
 relationships with the Research and Sponsored Programs Office (for us, this
 has meant "pre-award, with some nonfiscal post-award"); relationships with
 the Grants and Contracts Office (i.e., an office which is responsible for
 the fiscal issues, primarily post-award); avoiding duplication of effort,
 personnel, etc.; impact on distribution of Indirect Costs (for the feds, now
 referred to as "Facilities and Administrative" costs); start-up
 considerations, including costs; some of the benefits; some of the
 shortcomings/hassles; incorporating as a nonprofit; having a for-profit
 component/affiliate; is your organization currently planning any changes in
 the way you're dealing with the above issues?

 That's a mouthful!  If you have any relevant documents I can get from your
 Web or Gopher sites, that also would be quite helpful.  THANKS.

    Howie Kaplan
    Director of Research Services and Sponsored Programs