Re: IRIS Databse Barbara Henry 26 Jul 1996 08:31 EST

Jackie, we use IRIS at Georgia Tech.  Anyone with a Ga Tech IP address can
access the system and do his/her own search.  Our Program Development staff
also will do searches as requested.  We've found IRIS's WWW version
user-friendly and pretty good at locating opportunities for those not
interested in the hard sciences.   It is fairly costly for a school doing $2
mil a year, but it may increase your funding.
Thanks,
Barbara

At 04:27 PM 7/25/96 EDT, you wrote:
>Hey folks . . . am writing from the Olympic Village . . . well, just twenty
>miles from there!  Amidst all the "goings on" had a question arise.  My boss
>is considering  subscribing to IRIS as part of a consortium (reduced costs)
>of university system schools.  We already have access to several grant data
>bases in this office (not SPIN or IRIS).  Would appreciate any opinions
>about IRIS.  Do  you feel it would be useful for a "predominantly
>undergraduate university" with minimal "hard" research going on (mostly
>curriculum develoment, teacher ed, preparation, ILI kinds of proposals.  We
>have under $2 million worth of activity per year.  (We also have access to
>federal register/commerce business daily notices.)  Lack of activity is not
>due to lack of knowledge of funding sources, but rather, little incentive or
>requirement for involvement, to this point.  .Thanks!
>Jacqueline Givens
>Coordinator, Sponsored Programs
>Kennesaw State University
>1000 Chastain Road