Re: community service Barbara Gray 18 Jun 1996 07:52 EST

We do about the same thing--may spend 30 minutes or so in a meeting with
them.  However, to go any further, we require that one of our faculty or
staff members be actively involved in their project so that there is some
benefit to the university.  I have been asked personally to write proposals
for outside entities for a fee but have not yet taken anyone up on this
because I'm busy enough with university work and our foundation is in the
midst of a big campaign, so I would worry about competition.

>What policies do other grants offices use re: providing service to folks
>outside the university?  When non-profits in the neighborhood, or k-12
>schools, or whomever, asks you for help with a grant-proposal, what do
>you do?  At University of Wisconsin-River Falls, we have adopted this
>informal policy: we'll tell the inquirer whatever we can off the tops of our
>heads--e.g. 'that sounds like a good proposal for the xyz foundation,
>here's there address'--and let them browse through our library, but we
>won't do any research on their behalf or lend them materials.
>
>Does anyone do more?  Less?  Has anyone established a formal
>community service program?  Anybody charge a fee for service?
>
>Bill Campbell
>Director, Grants & Research
>UW-River Falls

Barbara H. Gray                           Telephone:  803-953-5673
Director of Sponsored Programs            FAX:        803-953-1434
University of Charleston, SC              e-mail:     xxxxxx@cofc.edu
Charleston, South Carolina  29424