Transfers of NASA Grants From Headquarters to the GSFC Terry A. May 03 Jun 1996 11:00 EST

 PI's here received a "Dear Colleague" letter (around mid-April) from
Henry C. Brinton, Director, Research Program Management Division, Office of
Space Science at NASA which discussed the pending transfer of grant
responsibility from NASA Headquarters to the Goddard Space Flight Center.
He attached a similar "Dear PI" letter from Adrienne Woodin, NASA Grant
Officer, which generated questions which I sent to Ms. Woodin last week by
e-mail; her response is attached.

 The reference to modifications in my second paragraph related to her
original statement (in the "Dear PI" letter) that "If an award is a
multiple year award, the period of performance of the Headquarters award
will be modified to end after the current funding period expires."

 I appreciate Adrienne's rapid response which I am redirecting to the
entire list - it clarifies NASA's intent.  I'd appreciate hearing from
others if I have overlooked something related to this transfer.  Terry-

**** a portion of my original note ****

**** Ms. Woodin's response ****

>To answer your questions:
>
>When talking about the period of performance, we are referring to the
>funding period which is the 12 month period.  Multiple year awards are
>funded on a yearly basis.  With the impending move, the remaining years will
>not be funded under the HQ grant, but will be issued a new award through
>Goddard's grant office.  The end date would be that of the 12 month funded
>period.
>
>As for the modifications, we do not have a time period for issuing these.
> There is too much other stuff going on right now (such as awarding the last
>round of fundings to grants) that we aren't too concerned with modifiying
>those at the present time.    They will be issued in due course.  Those
>grants which the program offices have provided funding for are being
>modified to delete whatever years remain under the multiple year period.
>
>Because of recent delays in the move, you may extend the end dates  thru
>September 30, 1997.   We wish to have all HQ grants completed on or before
>September 30, 1997.
>
>You may post these answers for others to see.  The more people this reaches,
>the better.  Other may also e-mail me if they have questions, too.
>
>Regards,
>Adriene Woodin
>
>P.S.  I have a new e-mail address:  xxxxxx@hq.nasa.gov

Terry A. May, Ph.D.                       Voice:    520-523-6788
  Director of Research Administration     FAX:      520-523-1075
  Office of Grant & Contract Services     INTERNET: xxxxxx@nau.edu
  100 Babbitt Admin. Ctr., Box 4130
  Northern Arizona University
  Flagstaff, AZ  86011-4130