Re(2): Policy regarding IC reductions Bob Beattie 23 May 1996 10:18 EST

If you return the indirect cost to the PI why collect it in the
first place.  Allow a reduced rate with the assumption that
you would have given it to the PI anyway.  At the University
of Michigan, the Indirect Costs are real costs which must be
paid by the recovery of the money from the federal, industrial
and sometimes non-profit sponsor.  There is no money to
"return" to the PI.  We use the recovered money to pay for
utilities, department and university-level administrative costs,
the library, facilities and such.  Rather than reduce the
amount of money in the budget which is requested for indirect
costs, we attempt to find ways to cost-share direct costs
items such as salary or equipment.  Otherwise how can you
justify the need for as high a rate as you have negotiated?

We are moving to a Value Center Management system of
finance so the indirect cost recovery will go directly to the
Value Center (usually a school or college) and that center will
be responsible for paying for the administrative and facilities
costs and paying a share of the University-level administrative
costs.  This places more incentive on the Dean to insist on
the full recovery of indirect costs.
Bob
xxxxxx@umich.edu
Senior Project Representative
Division of Research Development and Administration
The University of Michigan

 ------ From: Research Administration Discussion Group, Wed, May 22, 1996
------

Len,

At Long Beach we have a variable return rather than a fixed one.  The higher
the rate the higher the return to the P.I.  If it is written at 40% MTDC
then the P.I. will get 40% of the indirected retrieved ... 30% then 30% ...
and so on.  This turns out to be a fairly good incentive to reduced the
quibbling that you refer to.

Jim
310-985-5314
xxxxxx@csulb.edu