Re: Using Uncollected IDC as Match on Another Project James R. Brett 01 May 1996 18:57 EST

Barbara,

The only thing I don't know about South Carolina at this point is the
incorporation status of your institution.  Are you also a state agency? ...
or a public corporation? ... or a private, or what?  Should this make a
difference, you might ask?

Assuming that you were denied your IDC by the State as any contractor would
have been (i.e., regardless of  your status), and assuming that you did not
charge the loss off to some State account, and assuming that the amount did
not appear in your budget on the first contract, then ... I would guess that
there is no such thing as "IDC" on the first contract the moment you signed
it.  Accordingly, it does not exist in your "bank" or the State's or
anyone's to be withdrawn later for other purposes.  What you have there,
besides a coastline which will have to be remapped again and again (just
like ours out here ... but for different reasons, of course) ... what you
have is a pocket stuffed with good will.

Ask the State if they have visited http://maps.yahoo.com/yahoo/?  I mean no
disrespect, actually, I came from a southern state myself.  (anyway, it's
pronounced yaHOO! .. as in down a rollercoaster .. not YAhoo, as in the
thickets of youknowwhere.)

By the way, if you are a State agency with the same financial code governing
you as the State agency with whom you are working (and believe it or not we
were governed by the same financial code as Fish and Game and DMV ... and
Boy! is that a round of laughs) ... then, depending on what that code says,
when you forgave the IDC, the State agency might claim that it (too) forgave
it, but late in the day, I still can't see how you  or the State agency can
warp that cash into match on a new contract with a new Federal source.

A guy buys a car, nothing down.  Because there was no down payment, the car
does not have a spare tire.  That's it; special Saturday afternoon deal.  He
drives it around town for a year.  One specific drive is up and down Main
Street every day to show it off.  Yes, that's one of the other parts of the
deal.  Well, before the contract is fully paid on the car, he goes into the
same agency and starts talking about another new car, not the same brand,
but another brand made by another company entirely.  It's a car, four
wheels, and capable of doing Main Street. It comes with or without a spare
tire.   The dealer says to him, Jack, I can get you this car any color you
want, but I have to have the spare tire off the old car to show the company
or they will raise hell (for reasons that only the dealer and the agent in
the company and the Honorable Senator from that town know anything about).
Jack, he may be a little dizzy from Main Street an' all, but he ain't no
fool an' he say, "What?!  You mean that you're gonna tell the second company
that I gave back a spare tire I never got from you and you never got from
the first company and that is going to make it possible to get any color I
want an' I still may have to do Main Street for another damned year?  Hold
on, man!"

Jim
310-985-53143
xxxxxx@csulb.edu