STATEMENT BY DR. NEAL LANE ON 1996 BUDGET AGREEMENT Lou Pellegrino 29 Apr 1996 09:33 EST

Date:          Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:23:48 -0400
From:          xxxxxx@nsf.gov
To:            Multiple recipients of list <xxxxxx@nsf.gov>
Subject:       STATEMENT BY DR. NEAL LANE ON 1996 BUDGET AGREEMENT

 Contact:  Mary Hanson           For immediate release:  April 25, 1996
 (703) 306-1070

 Statement by

 DR. NEAL LANE
 DIRECTOR, NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION

 On 1996 Budget Agreement

 I am immensely relieved and pleased that Congress has agreed upon a
 final budget for Fiscal Year 1996, with total NSF funding of $3.22
 billion -- including an additional $40 million above the level
 previously agreed to by House and Senate conferees -- and am grateful
 to Congress for its support of NSF.  We can now put behind us the
 distractions and confusion of shutdowns and continuing resolutions,
 and get on with the business of investing in the nation's future.

 This budget is good for NSF, good for science and engineering, and
 good for the nation, as research and education spur economic growth
 and create opportunity for all Americans.

 With agreement on the FY96 budget, we can now focus on the next budget
 challenge:  securing adoption of NSF's FY97 budget request.  This may
 prove to be even more difficult. For example, the House Science
 Committee just yesterday approved authorizing language that would
 reduce the President's FY97 request for NSF by $75 million, with
 potentially damaging cuts to NSF's research programs and operating
 resources.

 While today's news is positive, the long-term funding outlook for
 science and engineering remains questionable.  We must continue to
 demonstrate, to Congress and to the American people, that a strong
 investment in science is a must if the U.S. hopes to remain a world
 leader in science and engineering.

                                 -end-