Re: artist/writer-in-residence Richard Moore 11 Apr 1996 10:03 EST

>This question has surfaced in regard to a situation on campus.  We had a
>grant that brought a professional writer on campus for two quarters.  This
>was extremely successful and there is a desire to bring this writer back
>(and/or bring in others).  Question seems to be how to do this (status of
>the resident artist, salary, length of stay, etc.)  or is it better to
>simply hire the individual as an instructor?  This would not be a permanent
>position, but might last for the length of a school year (or term).
>
>Thanks.
>Mary

Mary,

We have (and have had) several "in residence" artists, musicians,
poets etc. that have been paid through a variety of grant, private
(ie outside University accounts) and institutional funds.  Most are
on temporary appointments from 3 weeks to 9-months, but we've been
able to use such appointments as a means of building our teaching
(and performing) faculty.  One (current) is on a "temporary" but
continuing  position (he's been here 5 or 6 years now; 50% of his
salary is paid directly to him [not a grant] by a private arts
agency and we pay 50%  Technically he is only a part-time
instructor, but he's paid on the same scale as our Assistant
Professors.  Another came here  through a one- year
artist in residence grant (from SC Humanities Council), was offered
a tenure track position and is now a tenured Assoc. Prof. of
Theater.

We've never had any problems, and to to honest, I'm not sure what
your problem is.  I am not familiar with Georgia's  system of
classifying "faculty" personnel, but in SC faculty are "unclassified"
which opens up a lot of institutional discretion in what you call
someone.  You do need to be careful to make sure the title is not
one normally ussed in a tenure-track, otherwise the individual may
have a legal claim against the University when he/she is finally
terminated.  Best to check with your academic affairs and human
resources offices about this, "you" may want/need to revise your
policies, faculty manaul etc.  and of course run everyting through
your legal counsel (I am not a lawyer, but I play one on
television...)

Funny you never have an engineer- in- residence they are always
Visiting Research Professors or something else.

I'd be glad to get more specifics about how things are done here, but
I suspect there would be enough difference between SC and GA
personnel policies that what we do may not be applicable (at least in
detail).

Richard  Moore
xxxxxx@coastal.edu