Re: proposal approval forms on-line Paplauskas,Leonard 10 Apr 1996 07:10 EST

We have developed an "on-line" proposal approval form, formatted in Word for
Windows 6.0.  The form is, I think , very nice (of course), with pull-down
menus for departments, schools, types of projects, major funding sources,
etc.  It can be completed with a minimum of effort, at a workstation and
printed out with all of the pertinent information on it.  When we
implemented the new form (October 1) we offered a series of informational
seminars on the form and its features.  Disks containing the form were
distributed to all departments, and the form is available on shared network
drives and e-mail systems at UCHC.  To the best of my knowledge, use of the
electronic format is marginal at best.  Most departments continue to use
copies of the form, which they then fill out with typewriters.  Some
departments use it, and love it.  Many departments have older versions of
Word, and have not upgraded, hence cannot use the features, or even access
the file.  Other departments use Word for MacIntosh, and the file can't be
translated to that format.  It's tough to teach old dogs new tricks.  In
general, the concept hasn't caught on yet.

I know how this list works, so, if you're interested in getting a copy of
the form, send an e-mail to Ms. Dana Carroll (xxxxxx@adp.uchc.edu) in the
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, UCHC, who will reply to your
e-mail request attaching a file with the WFW 6.0v of the form.  Don't just
reply directly to this post; I simply won't have time to forward all of
these to Dana.  Don't ask us for a disk with this file on it; sorry, can't
afford it anymore.  If you don't have WFW 6.0, please don't ask for it,
because it won't work on anything else.

Len Paplauskas
Asst. VP for Research
UCONN Health Center
Farmington, CT  06030
 ----------
From: Research Administration Discuss
To: Multiple recipients of list RES
Subject: proposal approval forms on-line
Date: Monday, April 08, 1996 9:12AM

Has any University made their proposal approval forms available on-line to
the
entire University community?  We are looking into the possibility of adding
the
form to our Financial Management System with restrictions.  The attempt is
make the form interactive where it can be filled in at the screen and be
printed out and circulated with the proposal.  It would also serve as a
data collection device for pre and post award activity.  The idea of doing
this did not come from our office.
Another option would be to offer the form on our (Research Office) homepage.

I'd like to know if other institutions offer this and if so, from where does
it originate?

Thank you,
 Eleanor Cicinsky
 Temple University