Re: Field animal protocols Charles E. Graham, Ph.D. 03 Apr 1996 11:30 EST

Dick, according to the Animal Welfare Act (CFR, Title 9, subchapter A), ANY
research with vertebrate animals is subject to federal
regulation and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
oversight, if you receive any federal funds. It makes no difference wether
the animals are captive or not, or whether they are captured, bled, or not.
Even passive observation of animals in their natural habitat could
interfere with feeding and mating behavior, so being potentially
deleterious to them. It is the IACUC's job to assess the extent of such
impact and balance any impact against the other considerations that have to
be weighed when deciding whether to approve the protocol.

At the time I quit my activity as an active zoologist and chair of an
IACUC about 5 years ago, wildlife studies were a hot topic, because the
fed. regs were being interpreted increasingly broardly to protect
categories of animals that people had not thought about much before, and
observation of wildlife was one of several grey areas. It is possible that
some IACUC's have since adopted policies that assist in reaching a decision
on wildlife studies. For example, there is a lot of difference between
cruising down the river counting alligators, and using live-traps for
population surveys; a policy that the former does not require specific
IACUC approval might be acceptable to OPRR. It would be interesting to hear
about examples of such policies.

You could approach OPRR (the Office for Protection from Research Risks,
NIH) to see if they have provided any guidelines on this topic, or are
aware of any IACUC policies that have withstood audit.

Regards, Charlie

Quoting from NCURA's Regulation and Compliance manual (1991, p29):
"Prior to receiving an award involving the use of vertebrate animals in the
field or laboratory activities, an institution must provide an acceptable
written assurance to OPRR...." regarding compliance with the Act and oter
requirements. It is my recollection that if you file an assurance, you must
agree that all research done by your instituion will meet the same
standard, whether federally funded or not. I hope someone else will
confirm this.

Hope this helpful: Charlie.

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:58:29 EST, <Research Administration Discussion Group>
 wrote:

>I am looking for sources of information on animal use in field
>research.  Aside from getting necessary state and federal permits -
>what regulations apply to vertebrates which are to be trapped (live
>trapped - not injurious to the critters), marked and released for
>subsequent observation?  How about taking blood or other tissue
>samples?

>Any information or sources I can go to would be appreciated.
>

>Richard H. Moore
>Assistant Vice President for Grants and Sponsored Research
>
>Coastal Carolina University     E-MAIL:
>P.O. Box 1954                   VOICE: (803) 349-2050
>Conway SC 29526                 FAX: (803) 349-2990

 * Charles E. Graham, PhD.                  xxxxxx@UNIX1.SNCC.LSU.EDU
 * Director, Office of Sponsored Research               504-388-8692
 * 117D David Boyd Hall, Louisiana State University     FAX 388-6792
 * Baton Rouge, LA 70810
 *
 * http://www.osr.lsu.edu/     gopher: gopher.osr.lsu.edu