Re: Animal Expenditures on PHS Grants Marianne Woods 28 Mar 1996 10:56 EST

At UTDallas we consider a significant change to be a change in the
species, an increase in the number of animals to be used, and a change in
the procedures to be used with the animal. Therefore, we hold a PI to the
purchase of animals only for the specific procedures described. Since we
have centralized the purchasing of animals and feed, through the animal care
attendant, he is able to verify that the purchase request matches up with
the protocol. Since we charge an animal per diem that does not cover
our costs we carefully monitor the animals and the grant expenditures to
make sure that we can recoup grant money allocated for these costs.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Marianne Rinaldo Woods
Office of Sponsored Projects
University of Texas at Dallas