Intramural Competitions and Faculty Titles Judy Fredenberg 22 Mar 1996 13:28 EST

We had a similar discussion in the recent past.  Consequently, the
eligibility statement was changed to read:

"Proposals in any area of research or creative work are welcome from all
faculty members (visiting, postdoctoral, emeriti, adjunct), postdoctoral
through professor on contract for 1996-97."

Good luck!

Judy

At 05:27 PM 3/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
>We are in the middle of an intramural competition and a controversy
>has erupted over who qualifies for the competition.  Two of the
>applicants have titles of instructor as opposed to assistant or
>associate professor.  They are essentially post docs with access to
>lab space.  Some of the faculty here (ie. Asst. & Assoc. Professors)
>feel that it is wrong to allow them to compete.  My question to the
>group is how many of you have internal competitions and at what level
>or title are the applicants allowed to compete.  At issue is not the
>caliber of the science, since both the instructor-level applicants
>have submitted very strong projects.
>
>We would greatly appreciate hearing some of your ideas for a fair
>competition.  Thank you.
>
>Kevin R.Cummings
>Director of Research Information and Devel.
>Office of Research Administration
>New York Medical College
>(914) 993-4480  xxxxxx@nymc.edu

 Judy Fredenberg
 Research Administration, UH116          email: xxxxxx@selway.umt.edu
 The University of Montana                    http://www.umt.edu/research
 Missoula, MT 59812              FTP: ftphost.umt.edu,  cd to: user/fred
 406-243-6670                                              Fax: 406-243-2797

            Applying computer technology is simply finding
             the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.