Re: Approval from consultant's employer Paul Parker 20 Mar 1996 03:10 EST

 At the State University of New York at Binghamton we do not consider it
our responsibility to verify the consulting practices for consultants who
may or may not be employed at another institution.  Even within the SUNY
system consulting is permitted between institutions.  Our review is whether
indeed the independent contractor is a consultant or an employee.

 Paul Parker, Director
 Sponsored Funds Administration
 The Research Foundation, State
 University of NY, Binghamton

>I'm looking at a grant application that lists a consultant employed
>at a local university for total consulting fees of $9,600.  A letter from
>the consultant agreeing to the job is included in the application, but
>there's nothing from the consultant's boss or employer.
>
>Many schools limit faculty consulting to one day per week.  To what extent
>do I have an obligation to check whether the consultant's employer
>knows about this proposal and consents to it?  Is it, as our PI suggests,
>none of our business?
>

>Peter J. Dolce
>Director, Research Support Services
>Meharry Medical College